Monday, April 23, 2007

Youth and Rebellion

How can a young man keep his way pure? By keeping Your Word. Psalm1119:9

Why is it that young men, and young women, rebel against all that seems important to many of us? How do they lose respect for authority? How do they determine that they are mistreated, or bullied, or teased and need to retaliate? What is the catalyst that moves them from merging within the confines of lawful society, to become a child molester, a rapist, or a murderer?


I am convinced that the human mind must have an intake of God’s Word. I am certainly not saying that everyone who does not feed on God’s Word will move outside the boundaries of the law, but I am saying that proper inculcation and obedience to the Word of God will be the insuring factor that purity can be the chosen way of life. Of all those life ingredients the Enemy can defeat, God’s Word is not one of them.

Trying to assign fault for any violation of human decency is difficult if not impossible. My goal here is not to make a determination as to why an event occurs, rather to decide if young men and women, or anyone for that matter, can avoid complicity with him whose goal is to steal, kill and destroy. I am convinced the answer is yes!

The Psalmist tell us that it is possible for one to be blameless and happy, focused on the delight that comes from keeping God’s precepts and thinking about His ways. Wrong can be avoided when His ways are followed and His Word is treasured.

We (as a society) seem Hell-bent on making sure that does not happen. Many, of course, just don’t believe it. But there are many more who are so consumed with political correctness that they are unwilling to attempt it and thereby admit that the alternative is acceptable.

I empathize with those who hurt. And I know that hurt will always be a part of life. But I am going to stand with the Psalmist who said –

I have sought You with all my heart; don’t let me wander from Your commands. I have treasured Your Word in my heart so that I may not sin against You. Lord, may You be praised; teach me Your statutes. With my lips I proclaim all the judgments from Your mouth. I rejoice in the way [revealed by] Your decrees as much as in all riches. I will meditate on Your precepts and think about Your ways. I will delight in Your statutes; I will not forget Your word.

No comments: