Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Do Your Job

Jonathan Martin, writing for Politico said, "Now, with the emergence of the notorious video showing the Rev. Jeremiah Wright damning the country, criticizing Israel, faulting U.S. policy for the Sept. 11 attacks and generally lashing out against white America,. . . . "

Herein lies a serious problem from my perspective. Where does one find this subject matter in the Word of God? The answer is, one doesn't. In fact there is a lot of rhetoric being spewed from the pulpits of America that has no basis at all in the Word of God. And when that is true, it is no longer a "Church," and the speaker is no longer a "pastor." The focus of the Church is to be slave to Christ and servant to one another, and the community at large. The focus of the pastor is to proclaim the Truth of God's Word and care for the people. Nothing more, nothing less! Period! Paragraph!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen, Christian West!!!

Anonymous said...

Thank God for my Pastor. He sticks to God's Word.

Anonymous said...

You are correct that Wright's wrongness isn't coming from Scripture, it's apparently coming from "Black Liberation Theology." There's a great interview with a black conservative evangelical Reformed Baptist pastor who actually pastors in the Cayman Islands who has written a book about the "Decline of African American Theology." He does a good job of helping us understand that Wright's comments are not essentially different than what comes from pastors who advocate Black Liberation Theology. And the reason otherwise normal, America-loving black believers can listen to this kind of stuff and not come away foaming at the mouth is because they all understand (according to this author) that the point of black preaching is not specifically to teach, but to evoke an emotional response. So, I suppose they're all in on the joke, if you will, and know that what's said is just for the sake of emotional stimulation. I guess that's what passes as "worship" in those circles.

I'd rather be stimulated by the amazing drama that is conveyed through looking from my Law-exposed perspective at the sinless Savior living, dying, rising, ascending, interceding and coming again for me, having all of this signified and sealed to my needy self at the Lord's Table. And the response I would yield, rather than a cathartic cheer, would be stronger faith, deeper love and more evident obedience.

I think I'll "Amen" myself, if I may!

Christian West said...

Thanks, Anonymous.

Christian

Christian West said...

John,
Thanks for the info on "Black Liberation Theology."

You may "Amen" yourself if you like. I will join in "Amen" to you as well.

Christian