Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Forsaken

He Himself has said, I will never leave you or forsake you. Therefore, we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. Hebrews 13:5 -6

Have you ever felt forsaken – abandon, believing for all the world that the end of things as you have known them has arrived and there is nothing you can do about it? I have! And I have seen it again this week in the lives of several people.


One event involves betrayal, illegality, a nightmare of interwoven lies and deceit. Friends used without their knowledge, or friends who are ignorant of the events, are deeply hurt. Another involves a natural progression of circumstances, which, when seen without the kaleidoscope of God’s perfect will, leads us to believe we have been short-changed, or that we have somehow become less important to God and others; those others who are unable to stem the tide of abandonment the Enemy brings to our consciousness
.
It is during those times that we need to be reminded of God’s principles for the actions of those who are struggling here –
First – continue to practice the disciplines of llove
Second – remain friendly and hospitable
Third – see the problems from the perspective of the one who is forsaking you
Fourth – don’t let anything that violates God’s design for your life enter your
mind
Fifth – don’t concentrate on the wrong things but be satisfied with the incredible blessing of your life in Christ
Sixth – don’t be afraid; what can go wrong that God’s can’t fix?

Now in case you cannot tell, that is my exposition (please don’t drag the Expository Police down on me) of Hebrews 13:1-7. I may be a little off in my theological perspective, but I’ll make a case for fitting it to these situations.

If I have learned anything over my considerable years, I have learned that other folks, be it my family, my friends, my colleagues, my mentors, my leaders, my neighbors, my Christian brethren, will let me down. Some on occasion will forsake me, abandon me, hurt me, make me wish I could live absolutely alone on a desert island with nothing more than lots of money, plenty of stuff, and perfect friends. Unfortunately that only happens on TV.

One Truth on which I can constantly depend is that God has told me He will never leave me or forsake me. And I can take that to the bank. I’ve needed to cash in on that more than a few times in my life, and, take my word for it, it’s real. It’s true. It’s enough!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like verse seven of Hebrews thirteen: "Remember your leaders, those who spoke to you the word of God. Consider the outcome of their way of life, and imitate their faith."

Thanks for your labor in God's Word among God's people.

As for your exposition, you needn't fear any action from the Exposition Police, for you went straight ahead to application. You're off the hook!

;)