Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Tragedy Strikes Again

Tragedy in the form of one who chooses to murder others with seemingly no rhyme or reason has struck again. As I listened for a few moments to the morning talk show on WBAP I heard (again) the host's mantra that factors other than poor parenting and shallow gene pools do not contribute to the problem.

Someone suggested that music that glorifies violence and video games that provide all sorts of behaviors that are outside the range of decency's acceptability would be a contributor. "Absolutely not true," said the host. That stuff has nothing to do with it.

How I appreciate such wisdom. It's exactly like saying that constantly repeated advertising (and this would be good information for WBAP's advertisers) has nothing to do with society's buying pattern and habits. Grow up, Mark. We've got some really serious problems, and we better face the reality that what we see, read, hear and "play with" affects the actions we take!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think folks like Mark who are quick to squash the claim that entertainment media have a negative influence on the behavioral patterns of its consumers think those making the claim are meaning a more direct link between the two than those making the claim actually intend.

I would agree that such media certainly broadens the boundaries of acceptable morality in various ways, but those that truly get themselves into real trouble with it are people who were looking for something to get themselves into trouble with anyway. There were other issues at play that motivated them to such behavioral extremes.

I doubt we can literally attribute a first person shooter video game as the direct cause of the VT shooting, but a society which is familiar with the image of such games will be more likely to see life imitate art than one that is not, generally speaking.

Christian West said...

John,
There is a direct link between what enters our mind and the actions we take. It is the influence of the Enemy. We are born with a predisposition toward evil, and when that predisposition is enhanced with evil things (like the vileness of those things I mentioned), we are much more likely to succumb to temptation in whatever form it arises. That might be illicit sex, violence toward women, or even murder. Don't be guilty of underestimating the power of sin. Your are right that there are other issues in play. . .so why add to them with this trash?

Anonymous said...

I don't underestimate the power of sin. But I also think its wise to focus on the particular sin-issues with the individual rather than treat video games the way liberals treat guns. People still kill people, not video games.

I agree that a minority will obsess over a certain type of entertainment media and allow it to feed their destructive disposition, but most of us survive with a minimum of damage. Jesus' words that what goes into a man is not what defiles him, but what comes out of his heart apply well here, I think.

Anonymous said...

I mean, hey! I played D&D for 4 hours a day during the summer in junior high and look how well I turned out! (Don't respond to that :)

Christian West said...

When you say "most of us," are you speaking of believers? I ask because most un-believers are not "surviving with a minimum of damage," in my opinion. I believe just the opposite is true. Our society increases it's velocity toward destruction exponentially.

And, by the way, you are absolutely right that a gun won't kill anybody (see April 18th post), but neither will it "get in" you mind and haunt your thoughts. . .unless you are really wierd. Sin in society is like leaven in bread. . .so to speak. . .and pretty soon the whole loaf is. . .but I'm preachin' to the choir as usual.

Christian West said...

D and D, huh? Now I know why your mind is so twisted. . .

Hey, thanks for your comments. I appreciate that you read this great stuff.