Thursday, May 3, 2007

Just Stop It!

When I was learning to speak the language of our country, one always referred to himself last. Now, even the most important of folks drive me to distraction with the "me and ___" phrase.

"Me and Bush," said John McCain as he talked about a coming debate. "Me and my kids," said a mother recently. "Me and Jeff and Tom are going. . .," is a often heard sentence starter. Just listen to the people around you, it's pervasive. Even folks who must know better have slipped into this thoughtlessness. I hear it from TV news anchors, Congressmen, business leaders, public speakers, school teachers (even those who teach language skills), and ALL teenagers. We need to change it back. Of course, it's just symptomatic of our "me first" society.

I'm sure that is what has happened to God's folks, and His Church. We've just been putting ourself first instead of Him. The former examples are just poor language and thought skills. The latter is a matter of serious miscalculation.

No comments: