Monday, February 18, 2008

Speaking of Change

The Presidential race has come to Texas. I haven't seen any McCain or Huckabee ads yet, but the airwaves are thick with Mr. Obama and Mrs. Clinton.

The one thing they say they are going to do is "change" things. I'm not sure how they will accomplish that, but I wish them Godspeed with it. There are a couple of things I would like changed.

I would like for US to change our focus on "me, me, me," to "what can I do for other folks." I've learned over the years that the people who focus their attention on ministry to others find their own lives enriched beyond measure.

I would like US to change our National obsession for immoral entertainment to an obsession for the things of God. I've learned that a focus on following Him though obedience to His revealed Word brings so many good things to my life that I don't need to be entertained by the World at all -- especially at meetings of the Church.

I'd be willing to wager those changes are not on the agenda. Too bad! Just those two would change our society for the better beyond our wildest dreams.

2 comments:

Bruce Medley said...

I sure agree that all the talk about "change" seems to be more smoke than fire. In my view,the 3 frontrunners in both parties are among the major "beltway" players who have created the very things they claim need to be "changed."

As you probably heard recently, a Democratic spokesman said the number of delegates the candidates win is irrelevant since the superdelegates are better equipped than national delegates to select the Party's presidential nominee. Seems that spokesman needs a refresher in "Democratic 101" or maybe promote a name change for the Party to....well, something else.

I mention the example of that dictatorial behavior as it sheds light on a change I would like to see in preparing folks for leadership, especially those in church work.

Back in the "old days" many churches conducted a training program on Sunday evenings before the evening worship service. It was designed to help folks learn the basics of church doctrine, church organization, how to be a leader, and the role of the local church in missions. Unfortunately, that went away when McDonalds started selling hamburgers for 10 cents.

Several years ago, a local church conducted orientation courses for newly elected teachers, committee chairs, deacons, new church members, and staff new-hires. The focus was "servant leadership" with Christ as the model.

Purhaps if the Christian community was better trained to be "servant leaders", we might be better change agents to shift the "me, me, me" to "you, you, you."

Such leadership training might also help Christians develop heart desires for the things of God rather than entertainment.

Since Christ chose to change the world through His church, maybe the changes you mentioned should start in the church.

We used to call that "revival."

Christian West said...

Dr.Pepper,
How right you are! I try to avoid direct comments on politics, but it seems strange that those who want to bring change (meaning the three front-runners) haven't done much changing in the Senate in the past couple or three years.

Can't believe you remember (or just know about) Training Union. That the place I learned my first "part" (Now you really have to know what TU was).

We desperately need folks to be trained, but getting US committed to it remains a difficult task.

I'll continue to pray for "revival." I do believe it will come someday.

Christian